Welcome to Empowered.org (Website), an interactive online service. The mission of Empowered.org is to empower groups to mobilize for their desired social change. From small grass-roots clubs to complex international organizations, Empowered.org provides a flexible platform to fundraise, recruit/coordinate volunteers, and create awareness for international service. As part of that effort, Empowered.org directs money to the participating organizations’ merchant processor to fund activities designated by the donor (or users of the site). Empowered.org does not charge any set up costs or monthly fees, but if you elect to fundraise money on the Website we may receive a small percentage of each donation to administer and improve the Website if the donor elects to contribute to cover the online transactions. Empowered.org is a wholly-owned by Global Brigades Ventures, a California-based Public Benefit Corporation. For more information, visit www.globalbrigades.org.
Information We Collect
For the purposes of the Website, we must collect the personal data of volunteers and donors when they use the Website, volunteer, register for an event, make a donation or otherwise interact with the Website. We endeavor to collect personal data only with the knowledge or consent of the participating organization. Below are examples of the categories of data that may be collected:
- Information you provide us with. When users (volunteers, donors, or members of participating organizations) interact with our Website, we will collect information such as names, email address, street address, phone numbers as well as user names, passwords and other such credentials that are needed to authenticate users and to validate their actions or that may be needed to provide users with the services of the Website. By the discretion of participating organizations using the platform, they may designate fields during registration and the donation process to collect demographic information, for example, age, gender and zip code which we would store in our records. We may also store and collect other information users provide, such as their consents, preferences and feedback. Please note that certain non-identifiable information collected from users may become personal identifiable information when they provide us with personal data. Some of our services may allow users to submit information about other people, for example, if participating organizations ask us to send information to other people.
- Your transactions with us. We collect or ask for information relating to the use of our Website and users interactions with the Website. Such information may include, for example, details of the queries users have made, the products and services provided (including delivery details), financial details (including payments or donations made, credit card details, billing address, and other such financial information), details of agreements between users and participating organizations, records of contacts and communications, information and details relating to the content users provide and other such transactional information. Certain services may involve the use of user location data. Use of particularized location data for specific services is subject to consent. We may use aggregated location data for marketing and analysis purposes without consent.
How We Use Your Personal Data
Empowered.org processes personal data and/or any additional service-specific privacy information for the purposes described in this Policy. Please note that one or more purposes may apply simultaneously.
- Provision of products and services. We may use personal data to fulfill transaction requests, process an order or as otherwise may be necessary to perform a transaction between users and the participating organizations on Empowered.org, to ensure the functionality and security of our products and services, to identify you and to prevent and investigate fraud and other misuses.
- Development of products and services. We may use personal data to develop our products and/or services. However, for the most part we only use aggregate and statistical information in the development of our products and services. We may also use personal data to personalize our services and to provide users with service more relevant, for example, to make recommendations and to display customized content and advertising in our Website. We may combine personal data collected in connection with your use of a particular Empowered.org product and/or service with other personal data we may hold, except where such personal data was collected for a different purpose. We may create aggregate and statistical information based on personal data.
- Communicating with you and marketing. We may use personal data to communicate with you, for example, to respond to your inquiries, to provide information relating to our services or to contact you for participant feedback and satisfaction queries. We may use your personal data for marketing or research purposes, for example, to conduct market research. And we may, in accordance with applicable law, contact you to inform you of new services or promotions we may offer. Some of our services may be used to promote other companies, but, Empowered.org does not disclose your personal data to such companies or any other company for marketing purposes without your prior consent.
Sharing Your Personal Data
We do not sell, lease, rent or otherwise disclose your personal data to third parties unless otherwise stated below.
- Consent By entering your data on the Website, you are consenting that it will be given to the affiliated organization with which users are choosing to participate with. We may also share personal data if we have consent to do so. Some services may include sharing personal data with other users of the Website, for example services where users publish their own content.
- Empowered.org authorized third parties We may share personal data with other Empowered.org authorized third parties who process personal data for Empowered.org for the purposes described in this Policy. Such parties are not permitted to use your personal data for other purposes, and we require them to act consistently with this Policy and to use appropriate security measures to protect your personal data.
- Mandatory disclosures We may be obligated by law to disclose personal data to certain authorities or other third parties, for example, to law enforcement agencies where we or third parties acting on our behalf operate. We may also disclose and otherwise process personal data in accordance with applicable law to defend Empowered.org’s legitimate interests, for example, in civil or criminal legal proceedings.
- Mergers and Acquisitions If we decide to sell, buy, merge or otherwise reorganize our business, this may involve us disclosing personal data to prospective or actual purchasers and their advisers, or receiving personal data from sellers and their advisers.
Collecting the Data of Minors
Empowered.org does not seek to collect any information from or engage in any transactions with persons under the age of 13. Our databases may nevertheless contain personal data of children under 13 due to the fact that it is not always possible to determine precisely the age of the user. A parent or guardian of a child under the age of 13 may review and request deletion of such child’s personal identifiable information as well as prohibit the use thereof. If you are a parent or guardian of a child under the age of 13 and believe that he or she has disclosed personal identifiable information to us, please contact us at admin@Empowered.org.
We take reasonable steps to keep the personal data we possess accurate and up-to-date and to delete out of date or otherwise incorrect or unnecessary personal data. As certain Empowered.org products, services and interactive portals may allow you to manage your profile, we encourage you to access your personal data from time to time to ensure that it is correct and up-to-date. Please remember that it is your responsibility to provide us with correct details as well as to update the personal data you have provided us with in case of any changes.
While there are always risks associated with providing personal data, whether in person, by phone, via the internet or otherwise, and no technology is completely safe or “tamper” or ”hacker” proof, Empowered.org takes reasonable technical and organizational information security measures to prevent and minimize such risks. Such measures include, where appropriate, the use of firewalls, secure servers, encryption, implementing proper access rights management systems and processes, careful selection of processors and other technically and commercially reasonable measures to provide appropriate protection for your personal data against unauthorized use or disclosure. Where appropriate, we may also take backup copies and use other such means to prevent accidental damage or destruction to your personal data. If a particular part of the Website supports online transactions, we will use, or ensure that our vendors use, an industry standard security measure to protect the confidentiality and security of online transactions.
In case you wish to know what personal data we hold about you or you wish to replenish, rectify, anonymize or delete any incomplete, incorrect or outdated personal data, or you wish us to cease processing your personal data for the purpose of sending promotional materials or direct marketing or for the performance of market research, you may contact us using the information below. In some cases, especially if you wish us to delete or cease the processing of your personal data, this may also mean that we may not be able to continue to provide the services to you. We encourage you to use available profile management tools for the above purposes as such tools often provide you with direct access to your personal data and allow you to effectively manage it. Please note that Empowered.org may need to identify you and to ask for additional information in order to be able to fulfill your above request. Please also note that applicable law may contain restrictions and other provisions that relate to your above rights.
Residents of the State of California, under certain provisions of the California Civil Code, have the right to request from companies conducting business in California a list of all third parties to which the company has disclosed certain personal identifiable information as defined under California law during the preceding year for third party direct marketing purposes. You are limited to one request per calendar year. In your request, please attest to the fact that you are a California resident and provide a current California address for our response. You may request the information in writing at:
Global Brigades Ventures
1099 E. Champlain Drive, Suite A176
Fresno, CA 93720
Attn: California Privacy Request